This week was extremely long but good. We had a great time of music teaching in France with concluding concerts on Saturday in the town of Anduze in the south. That made for a very long day with one concert in the town square in the afternoon and another in the town cathedral in the evening. Both went well, but by the time we loaded up and made the return trip to the camp, we arrived back after midnight. Then it was a two day process to get home - with a one night stopover in Paris and then two flights and a drive home from Tampa to cap a 20 hour travel day.
I was able to watch all the videos for the week. They did give a very good idea of what a literature review is - as well as what it is not. I must say that I found the video with Patricia Campbell to be somewhat strange. I gather she is trying to emphasize the importance of the arts, but I found it somewhat rambling and a bit difficult to follow the main point. By contrast, Dr. Mertler's video about the proper framing of questions helped move further down the process of putting together a good research proposal. It also served to complement and summarize the main point of the assigned chapter in his book.
Phillips helped to reiterate some basic information about data collection methodology. While the scientific method is generally known by many from previous science classes, it is good to see how it is to be specifically applied to design of research plans. Many of the specific terms had been covered in other contexts (particularly in previous readings in Mertler) but it was helpful to have them explained again from a slightly different perspective. For those of us who don't work with statistics on a regular basis, such explanations of terms bear repeating more than once!
Now that I am back home from my globetrotting travels, I am hopeful that I will be better able to keep up with deadlines in the weeks to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment