First, I did manage to get my copy
of Phillips’ book this week and catch up on the reading. This was particularly helpful in covering the
components of the typical research article.
Phillips does explain these in some detail, which was helpful in completing
the Research article review assignment. The sections on “The Quality of the
Presentation” and “The Trust Factor” also outline important considerations in
those vital areas.
I also thought that the first chapter will prove useful in
locating relevant research literature with its listing of the number of
websites that compile and list research studies and doctoral
dissertations.
In watching the videos, I was
particularly struck by the young cellist in Dr. Duke’s video. His very personal explanation of what he
thinks “The Swan” is communicating is matched by the look of absolute pleasure
on his face as he plays. The follow up
comment that this joy of expression is too often what is lost in the course of
developing skill, in music or anything else.
If the student doesn’t internalize what is being presented, the teacher
has not succeeded. If it doesn’t go out
of the classroom and get applied in some fashion, it has little value. I also appreciated his emphasis on resisting
the temptation to solve students’ problems for them rather than allowing them
to solve them for themselves. I also
love the concept of creating “strategic confusion” in the minds of students to
force them to learn to think for themselves.
I also enjoyed Dr. Mertler’s
emphasis on self-examination as a major part of the reconnaissance process. If
we are not able to examine our own biases and tendencies, it becomes very
difficult to accurately assess the problems in a situation and to come up with
likely ways to correct them. It also,
though, helps point out the importance of gaining information from different
perspectives to help overcome our own limitations and biases. What we may not catch or understand may be
caught and brought to our attention by someone else.
Mertler’s stages for action research
outline (1. Planning; 2. Acting; 3. Developing; 4. Reflecting) makes a lot of
sense to me. I relate to them in terms of how good teachers have always
operated: Identify a problem – Come up with possible solutions – Try out the
solutions – Analyze results to see what works/what doesn’t – Make adjustments
based on that analysis – Repeat the process.
In fact, Phillips describes this as “trial and error discovery.”
While I understand Mertler’s reasons for
breaking those four basic steps down into the eventual 9 sub-steps, in some
ways it makes things a bit more complicated.
The process will not always follow neatly in that same order. At times it will prove necessary to repeat
steps or rearrange the order as the various cycles develop over time. In the example I gave from my early teaching
experience, it could be said that I ran several cycles of the first two steps
before ever moving on to the 3rd and 4th steps, yet the overall
process was successful as evidenced by the steady improvement of the ensemble
in this area over the course of a three year period.
Good teachers do engage in practices that have some similarities to elements of action research. However, formalized action research is a different process. Hopefully the distinctions will begin to be more apparent in the next couple of weeks. A well-designed action research study can actually eliminate trial and error approaches.
ReplyDeleteWhat were your thoughts on this week's discussion activity?