The Research Scavenger Hunt assignment was an interesting (and creative) way to learn how to use the various research and library databases. It was made more complicated by the difficulty in downloading and installing the VPN software. Until that was finally resolved (Friday afternoon for me) it was possible to access the university library, but it was difficult to access some of the specific databases. The system kept asking for subscriber sign in information which I did not have available. Once I was able to complete the VPN installation, things proceeded much more smoothly.
It was eye opening to begin to realize just how much material is out there. In some cases, the initial search would produce more than 10,000 results. Even when I adjusted the search terms to be more specific, it often still resulted in a very long list to go through. I suppose that as I learn more about the specific topic I choose I hopefully with also learn more effective ways to narrow down the search parameters.
The discussions this week were very interesting. As one begins to see how others are starting to narrow the focus of their topics it begins to make me realize how much work I still need to do in that area. Both of my possibilities are still rather broad and that does cause me some concern. While I feel strongly about the dementia and music issue, I fear that, unless I can drastically narrow it down, it may prove to be too much for me to handle on my own with my current resources. I am starting to think that, if I do pursue this, it may have to be as some sort of meta study of the various research projects of those with more of a medical background. I have noticed that there has been quite a bit of brain research on music and its effects in recent years. While not specifically related to my topic, I was interested to see this article a couple days ago:
Why music makes our brain sing?
I do recall seeing more discussions along these lines recently and would like to see where that trail may lead. I also remember an elderly gentleman I knew years ago who was a tremendous singer. He had a debilitating stroke on his right side. He could no longer walk and could barely speak without difficulty. However, when he would start to sing, he was just as good as ever. When several of us questioned how that was possible, the explanation given by his doctor was that music resided in a different part of the brain than speech or motor control. This was my first brief exposure to the intricacies of brain research. It causes me to wonder if the musical skills of my father-in-law might be somehow wired into a different part of his brain than the common ordinary things that he struggles with so much now. He can't remember whether or not he had lunch today but he still can play some of his cornet solos from years ago completely from memory without missing a beat.
Overall this process has been quite enlightening. It makes me realize that well designed research requires a lot more planning and forethought than I had previously understood.
Stephen,
ReplyDeletePlease be sure to address all the learning objectives and activities of the week, making direct references to the readings and videos. Part of the purpose of this weekly assignment is for me to gauge the level of understanding of everyone on the week's objectives and to see how people are reacting to all of the activities. The post needs to be as comprehensive as you can make it. I suggest not writing in a "stream of consciousness" but rather planning out/outlining the things you want to be sure to cover.
What did you think of the Pam Burnard video?